Tenant's Toolkit

Common Problems and Complaints

What can I do about disturbances created by neighbours?

Examples of disturbances are loud noise, anti-social behaviour, piles of dumped rubbish and plants growing into your garden.

To resolve these issues:

  • Keep a diary of when an incident occurs and how long it lasts
  • Discuss the situation with your neighbour if you think the situation can be resolved reasonably
  • Contact your landlord or freeholder who may be able to take action
  • Contact your local authority who may investigate and prosecute
  • Go to the ombudsman if you've exhausted your council's complaints process

For more information, visit Which's article.

Am I living in an HMO?

HMO stands for ‘houses in multiple occupation’ and is a house occupied by more than 2 people who are not all members of the same family. If you live in a large HMO, your landlord must meet certain standards and obligations. You can find out more about HMOs from Shelter.

Missed appointment/failure to provide access (especially for gas safety inspections)

If an appointment has been arranged with a tradesman or housing association representative, it is very important that you meet with them or provide access (depending on what is required).

Missing an appointment could result in additional costs and could more importantly put you at harm. In the event of a gas safety inspection or boiler repair, failing to provide access could result in your home becoming an unsafe place to stay – at the very least you could be left without access to hot water.

Losing keys

If you lose a key to your rented home, it is your responsibility to pay for a replacement. This could involve taking an existing key to a key cutter to have a new key cut, or buying a key direct from the housing association.

In the event of losing all the keys to your home, you should first contact your landlord, lettings agent or housing association to see if there is a spare key. If none is available you should contact a locksmith to replace the lock and provide you with a new set of keys, one of which should be given to your landlord or lettings agent as soon as possible.