Tenant's Toolkit

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance is there to ensure that if your possessions are stolen or damaged, you won’t have to cover the cost.

As a tenant, you aren’t legally required to take out contents insurance. However, it could increase your peace of mind and help to safeguard your finances against theft, fire and flooding.

Your landlord should have policies in place covering the building and any furniture or furnishings they have provided, but these do not cover any possessions you have brought to the property or bought since moving in.

Just as with finding a property or choosing a gas, electric or phone, internet provider, there are many options to choose from. To help in narrowing these down, you can use a comparison site such as the ones listed below:

You will be required to enter your personal details, as well as some information about your property. If you are unsure about any details relating to the property, contact the landlord to clarify.

Try to be as accurate as possible, since the insurance company will double-check these details in the event of a claim and providing false information could lead to an invalid claim.