Tenant's Toolkit

Decorating and Furnishing your Home


Many landlords don’t allow any permanent changes to be made to their property but some are happy to allow rooms to be repainted or slightly altered provided you are prepared to return the house to its original state when you leave.

There are many ways to decorate your home without painting it - including furniture, curtains and rugs, artwork and ornaments - but if you're determined to create a 'feature wall' or brighten a room up, speak to your landlord. So long as you're clear about what you want to do, you should get a simple yes or no answer.

If the property you're moving into is unfurnished or only partially furnished, i.e. it does not contain much furniture, you may want to add some of your own possessions.

In the resource section of this toolkit, there is information on how you can find free or low cost furniture and electrical items for your home

Bringing your own furniture

If you already own furniture and you prefer it to the items that have been supplied, you have two options: you can either store the landlord's furniture somewhere else in the property and then replace it at the end of your tenancy, or you can contact the landlord and ask if they would consider storing the furniture somewhere else until the end of the tenancy.

Note: Do not remove any furniture provided by the landlord, as you will become liable for replacing it at the end of your tenancy.

Buying new or secondhand

If you do not already own furniture and need to furnish your property, you might find it cost effective to buy used furniture rather than new items. You can visit our "Free or Nearly Free Furniture" page here (link to directory page).

Only add if you can take away

You should also bear in mind that any furniture you bring into the property will need to be removed at the end of your tenancy.

If you're moving to a similarly-sized property this shouldn't be too much of a problem - you will just need a removals firm or "man with a van" - but if you're moving to a smaller property you may be forced to part with some of your furniture.